Troubleshooting Import Contacts
If you experience problems in the Import Contact process, here are some things you need to know when doing Import Contact.
How to Convert an Excel File to CSV
We recommend using the CSV file format rather than XLS. An important reason why it is necessary to use a .CSV file format is because in XLS and XLSX file formats it is quite common to find failures in uploading contact data. While the CSV format will format the data so that it is easier to read by the server so that the upload process will not occur.
MTARGET itself highly recommends using CSV so that the file is uploaded successfully. Here’s how to save an Excel file into CSV format:
- Open your Excel file. Make sure all your contact data is stored in the file.
- Click the ‘File’ button at the top left.
- Click ‘Save as’. If you are using the latest version of Excel, then click the ‘Browse’ button
- In the ‘Save as type’ section, look for CSV format. There are 2 types of CSV that can be used. If you are using Windows OS, it is recommended that you use CSV (Comma Delimited). If you are using MacOS, you can use CSV (Comma Separated Value).
- Then click ‘Save’. Your file has successfully become CSV.
I already used the CSV file format, but still failed to import
Make sure you have saved the CSV file format. It should be noted, there are 2 different types of CSV formats, from each OS (Operating System). If on Windows OS you can choose CSV (Comma Delimited), for MacOS you can choose CSV (Comma Separated Value).
Although you will see other types of CSV later, make sure you choose CSV format like the one above.
My file format is correct, but why do import contacts still fail?
If you feel that the file format you are using has CSV format and is still failing, make sure your file does not exceed the limitations by less than 5MB in file size and 20,000 lines count. If you have a need to import contacts that are over the limit, there are 2 ways you can do:
- You manually split files into sections by creating a new file in Excel.
- If you do have files that you want to upload quite a lot and are large, you can split the CSV file into sections automatically by using supporting applications such as CSV Splitter.
Later, after you separate contact data, you can upload it periodically.