About Auto Download Image in Email Client
For those of you who are very concern with the security of the Email Client, configuring ‘Auto Download Image’ can be something you need to pay attention to as well. Even though it’s not the main one, you can also do this setting to keep your Email Client from spam, or phishing.
Is it important to configure ‘Auto Download Image’ in the Email Client?
Although it rarely happens, some senders who are indicated as spam or phishing can embed a script in the Image in the email you receive. Then these spammers can send you another email. Of course this is quite dangerous.
However, it should be as long as the Email Client does not have a vital bug, this case rarely occurs.
But if you still want to disable the Auto Download Image setting, here are the steps you can do:
Outlook (Mail Outlook for Windows 10)
- Click the Settings icon.
- Select the ‘Reading Pane’.
- In the ‘External Content’ section, disable the option ‘Automatically download external images and style formats except S / MIME Mail’.
Outlook (Browser Version)
- Click the ‘Settings’ icon.
- Select ‘Mail’, then ‘Layout’.
- Look for the setting under ‘Sender Image’, then select the ‘Don’t show sender images’ option.
- Click the ‘Settings’ icon, then select ‘See All Settings’.
- On the ‘General’ tab, look for the ‘Images’ setting.
- Select ‘Ask before displaying external images’.
After you set the configuration for ‘Auto Download Images’, when you get an email, a notification will appear for permissions whether you will download the image or not.